I am very saddened to hear that the Lower Ossington Theatre has permanently closed. When I was reviewing theatre I would seek out shows at the LOT because the staff was friendly, I liked the size and “feel” of the theatre, and Ossington at Queen is a cool part of town.
Reading about the closing on blogTO and cp24 reminded me of many great shows I have been lucky enough to see the Lower Ossington Theatre. I saw a lot of Toronto Fringe plays at there, as shows that played the LOT were to my tastes.
It also brought back memories of Ossington establishments I would visit before and after a play, most notably Sweaty Betty’s and the Communist’s Daughter. I also remember being sad as I passed The Dakota Tavern on the 63 Ossington bus because I didn’t have time to visit.
Here are my reviews of 10 shows that I saw at Lower Ossington Theatre.
• LEGALLY BLONDE: THE MUSICAL March 12, 2012
• BUDDY – THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY April 10, 2013
• JACKIE AND JACK February 27, 2011
• REEFER MADNESS: THE MUSICAL June 10, 2011
• MOLOTOV CIRCUS August 8, 2010
• KASPAR & THE SEA OF HOUSES August 5, 2011
• THE HEARING OF JEREMY HINZMAN 2012 SUMMERWORKS
• IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE: A LIVE RADIO PLAY December 9, 2015
• HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH May 7, 2014
• TERRE HAUTE August 10, 2012